- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Walking Liguria's extensive network of trails, and taking in the gorgeous views, is a major outdoor activity. The mild climate and laid-back state of mind can lull you into underestimating just how strenuous such walks can be. Wear good shoes, use sunscreen, and carry water—you'll be glad you did. Trail maps are available from tourist information offices, or upon entry to the Cinque Terre National Park.
Other walks to consider: On Portofino promontory, the relatively easy walk to the Abbazia di San Fruttuoso is popular, and there's a more challenging hike from Ruta to the top of Monte Portofino. From Genoa, you can take the Zecca-Righi funicular up to Righi and walk along the ring of fortresses that used to defend the city, or ride the Genova-Casella railroad to one of the trailheads near the station stops.
Walking tours can introduce you to lesser-known aspects of the region.
For the Cinque Terre and the rest of the Province of La Spezia, the Cooperativa Arte e Natura (Viale Amendola 172, La Spezia0187email@example.com) is a good source for English-speaking guides. A half day costs around €150.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $859 & up -- Mediterranean 7-Night Summer Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $1449 & up -- Balcony: Summer France, Italy & Spain Cruise — $1,449 Royal Caribbean