What to Pack
What to Pack
In summer, stick with light clothing, as things can get steamy in June, July, and August. But throw in a sweater in case of cool evenings, especially if you're headed for the mountains and/or islands. Sunglasses, a hat, and sunblock are essential. Brief summer afternoon thunderstorms are common in inland cities, so an umbrella will come in handy. In winter, bring a coat, gloves, hats, scarves, and boots. In winter, weather is generally milder than in the northern and central United States, but central heating may not be up to your standards, and interiors can be cold and damp; take wools or flannel rather than sheer fabrics. Bring sturdy shoes for winter and comfortable walking shoes in any season.
As a rule, Italians dress exceptionally well. They don't usually wear shorts. Men aren't required to wear ties or jackets anywhere, except in some of the grander hotel dining rooms and top-level restaurants, but are expected to look reasonably sharp—and they do. Formal wear is the exception rather than the rule at the opera nowadays, though people in expensive seats usually do get dressed up.
A certain modesty of dress (no bare shoulders or knees) is expected in churches, and strictly enforced in many.
For sightseeing, pack a pair of binoculars; they'll help you get a good look at painted ceilings and domes. If you stay in budget hotels, take your own soap. Many such hotels do not provide it, or they give guests only one tiny bar per room. Washcloths, also, are rarely provided even in three- and four-star hotels.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- Impressions of Italy IExplore
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- Kingdom of Sicily — $6,265 IExplore