- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Several direct daily trains run by the Italian state railway, Ferrovia dello Stato (892021 toll-free in Italy www.trenitalia.com), link Florence and Rome with Perugia and Assisi, and local service to the same area is available from Terontola (on the Rome-Florence line) and from Foligno (on the Rome-Ancona line). Intercity trains between Rome and Florence make stops in Orvieto, and the main Rome-Ancona line passes through Narni, Terni, Spoleto, and Foligno.
Within Umbria, a small, privately owned railway operated by Ferrovia Centrale Umbra (024/73000541) runs from Città di Castello in the north to Terni in the south via Perugia. Note: train service isn't available to either Gubbio or Urbino.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Impressions of Italy IExplore
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- Kingdom of Sicily — $6,265 IExplore