- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Regional Wines to Try in Venice
Tre Venezie regional wines (from the Veneto, Trentino-Alto Adige, and Friuli-Venezia Giulia) go far beyond the famous Amarone, and include some spectacular whites like the crisp Malvasia and Tocai, the smooth Garganega (Soave) and Ribolla Pialla, along with the versitile, just-dry-enough bubbly, prosecco.
Reds are dry and flavorful but relatively low in alchohol, making them the perfect accompaniment to regional cuisine: look for Cabernet Franc, Corvina (Valpolicella, Bardolino), Marzemino, Lagrein, Refosco, Raboso, or Teroldego Rotaliano.
If this all seems a little confusing, the best (and definitely the most pleasurable) course of action is to head to a bacaro for some expert guidance.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes go-today
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $699 Royal Caribbean
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $549 Royal Caribbean