- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
San Polo and Santa CroceView Map
The two smallest of Venice's six sestieri (districts), San Polo and Santa Croce, were named after their main churches, though the Chiesa di Santa Croce was demolished in 1810. The city's most famous bridge, the Ponte di Rialto, unites sestiere San Marco (east) with San Polo (west). The Rialto takes its name from Rivoaltus, the high ground on which it was built.
San Polo has two other major sites, Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari and the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, as well as some worthwhile but lesser-known churches.
Shops abound in the area surrounding the Rialto Bridge. On the San Marco side you'll find fashions, on the San Polo side, food. Chiesa di San Giacometto, where you see the first fruit vendors as you come off the bridge on the San Polo side, was probably built in the 11th and 12th centuries, about the time the surrounding market came into being. Public announcements were traditionally read in the church's campo; its 24-hour clock, though lovely, has rarely worked.
San Polo and Santa Croce at a Glance
- Ca' Pesaro
- Campo San Polo
- Ponte di Rialto (Rialto Bridge)
- San Giacomo dell'Orio
- San Giovanni Elemosinario
- Atelier Pietro Longhi
- Francis Model
- Gilberto Penzo
- Il Baule Blu
- La Bottega di Cenerentola
Elsewhere in Venice
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes go-today
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $549 Royal Caribbean