Cotswolds and Stratford-upon-AvonBack to Best of Britain: England, Scotland, and Wales »
The Cotswolds make up some of England's most beautiful (and iconic) terrain. Stratford, to the north, is home of Shakespeare, as well as the Roman wonders of Bath. Many of the region's charms are found by happenstance, from tiny villages to perfect pubs. Once you've done the Bard "thing" be sure to leave time to explore the region's towns and gardens.
Learn more about Bath and the Cotswolds »
Learn more about Stratford-upon-Avon »
- Natural Beauty
- Stratford-upon-Avon makes its money from Shakespeare. The Bard's Birthplace Trust runs the show, offering a combination ticket for visits to Anne Hathaway's Cottage, Shakespeare's birthplace, and more.
- The Royal Shakespeare Company performs year-round here; tickets start at about 7 GBP, and their new theater is slated to open in late 2010.
- Hidcote Manor Garden is one of Britain's most interesting large green spaces. Created in 1907 in the Arts and Crafts style, it's the forerunner of the gardens at Sissinghurst and Glyndebourne.
- The Bath International Music Festival runs from the end of May to the beginning of June.
- Sudeley Castle, home of Catherine Parr, has 14 acres of gardens. Tours are available on Mondays and Fridays only, so plan accordingly.
- Chipping Camden, the town nearest to Hidcote Manor Garden, is a beautiful town that presents the Cotswolds in microcosm.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe