London is London—there's no way to undersell England's busy capital. For fans of homes and gardens, this is one of Europe's best metropolises. With plenty of park spaces and manors that range in size from grand, to fit for a Queen (literally), London and its close environs have something for everyone.
Learn more about London »
- Buckingham Palace may not be England's grandest home in style, but in stature, it surely is the tops. Get a spot early for the Changing of the Guard, which delights kids and, best of all, doesn't cost a cent.
- Atop Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery contains some of Britain's best painters, including Turner and Constable. If you can time it, try to catch one of the weekday lunchtime lectures on art in the gallery.
- Iconic Westminster Abbey is a classic piece of the London skyline. About 3,000 British greats are buried here, and it's also hosted 14 royal weddings.
- Actually about 20 towers, the Tower of London brings British history to life. The Crown Jewels, the Bloody Tower, and the Traitor's Gate are all on the premises.
- The Chelsea Flower Show is at the end of May.
- The Great British Beer Festival starts at the end of July.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe