Royal Tunbridge WellsBack to Classic Trips: England's Heritage Gardens and Stately Homes »
Royal Tunbridge Wells gets a bad rap as a middlebrow London suburb, but it's a fine base for exploring. Home to a healing spring and close to some of England's most impressive manors and gardens, the Wells have more to offer than just shopping and solitude.
Learn more about Royal Tunbridge Wells »
- About 10 miles (16.1 km) northwest is Hever Castle, a classic structure with turrets and battlements that was the childhood home of Anne Boleyn.
- Penhurst Place, 7 miles (11.3 km) to the northwest, is one of England's finest medieval manor homes; the hall was built in the 14th century.
- Sissinghurst, home to Vita Sackville-West's incredible floral displays, is surrounded by the beautiful Sissinghurst Castle.
- Knole, the 16th-century home where Sackville-West grew up, is also where she set her book The Edwardians.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe