Killarney is one of southwest Ireland's most attractive areas, and it's an excellent base for visiting the Ring of Kerry. In Killarney you'll be rewarded with lush green fields, sparkling lakes, and a dramatic glacial landscape. There is plenty to see and do here, from exploring ruins to active pursuits, before you head home from Shannon Airport.
- Natural Beauty
- Great Drive
- Killarney has famously beautiful lakes and vistas, and one of the best ways to take it all in is to walk or cycle through Killarney National Park.
- Drive around the Ring of Kerry, one of Ireland's most scenic drives, or escape the tourists and do the Ring on foot or horseback.
- Cross the narrow Gap of Dunloe, formed by massive glacial rocks that create an eerie echo.
- Killorgin's annual Puck Fair in August is a lively street festival; racing fans appreciate the Rally of the Lakes in May.
- Just 1 mi/2 km south of Killarney is Ross Castle, a fully restored 14th-century stronghold.
- Rent a rowboat at Ross Castle and go to Innisfallen Island, home to romantic ruins.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe