Sports and Outdoors in Luxembourg
Biking is a very popular sport in the grand duchy. Good routes include Ettelbruck-Vianden and Luxembourg City-Echternach.
The Luxembourg National Tourist Office —as well as those of Luxembourg City, Diekirch, and Mersch—all publish booklets and maps suggesting cycling tours within Luxembourg.
Also contact the Fédération du Sport Cycliste Luxembourgeois. B.P. 1074, Luxembourg, L1010. 29-23-17. www.fscl.lu.
Boating and Water Sports
The Wiltz and the Clerve rivers offer challenging waters for small craft or canoes, but the Our, with its wooded gorges, is the wildest; the Sûre is most rewarding, for its length and for the thrills it offers. For further information, write to the Fédération Luxembourgeoise de Canoë et de Kayak. Rte. d'Arlon 3, Strassen, L8009. 75-03-79. www.flck.lu.
People windsurf and sail on Lac de la Haute Sûre.
Visitors from all over Europe, especially the Netherlands, descend on Luxembourg's campgrounds every summer, making them sociable, crowded places, often near forests and riverbanks. Write for the pamphlet "Camping/Grand-Duché de Luxembourg," available through the national tourist office, or download the pdf from the web site.
If you're in search of trout, grayling, perch, or dace—as well as relaxation—you'll apply for a government fishing permit and a local permit from the owner of the waterfront, which in many cases is your hotel. The hotels in question can usually help arrange to national permit.
Hiking and Walking
Luxembourg is full of well-developed forest trails, often on state lands with parking provided. All the local tourist offices are well stocked with maps of walking itineraries covering their regions and can advise on suitable routes for ramblers of all abilities. Trails will be full of strollers late Sunday afternoon, the traditional time for such outings.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- Undiscovered Italy IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours