Le Bock Review
Luxembourg's raison d'être juts dramatically out over the Alzette river valley. This cliff served as the principal approach to the town as far back as Celtic and Roman times, until bridges were constructed. The name comes from the Celtic büück, meaning the promontory supporting a castle. Over its farthest point looms the ruined tower of the castle of Sigefroid himself. He founded the fortress Lucilinburhuc in 963; it was expanded, over the centuries, from this dominant point, and finally razed in 1875.
Vertiginous views from here take in the Plateau du Rham across the way, on the right, and, before it, the massive towers of Duke Wenceslas's fortifications, which in 1390 extended the protected area. The blocklike casernes (barracks) were built in the 17th century by the French and function today as a hospice for the elderly. Below them, at the bottom of the valley, is the 17th-century Neumünster Abbey, which, from 1869 to 1984, served as a prison, and now houses a cultural and arts center.
Here also is one access point for the city's underground defensive labyrinth, the Casemates du Bock, dug into the rock below the city in 1745. At the entrance, the Archaeological Crypt provides an excellent introduction, with an audiovisual presentation depicting Luxembourg history from the 10th to the 15th centuries.
- Address: Montée de Clausen, Luxembourg City
- Cost: Crypt and casemates €3
- Hours: Mar.--Oct., daily 10--5
- Location: Luxembourg City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- Seductive Spain IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours
Although I originally planned to do a day driving trip from Brussels to Luxembourg, the forecast winter weather along with a bargain train ticket has made me change my plans. Read more
This past July I took a 28 day trip to Europe, from Iceland to Slovenia and back again to Amsterdam. Read more
We are a family of 4 Adults and 3 kids (aged 3, 4 and 9) will be arriving (08:15 am) at Frankfurt on 9th July 2013 as part of our Europe visit. Read more
· News & Features
Luxembourg is nestled between Belgium, Germany, and France, with a native language that’s a Flemish-Germanic... Read more
Author Chris Pavone’s new espionage thriller, The Expats, is about an American abroad who finds... Read more