Once a medieval fortification, Remich is now one of the busier towns along the Moselle, serving as home to the State Viticulture Institute and the National Wine Mark, which oversees, rates, and regulates all the wines produced in Luxembourg. Despite the activity, Remich retains its historic charms. Twisting cobblestone streets, which stretch from the riverbank up to the top of the hill, are lined with art galleries, handsome homes, and lovely gardens. The Esplanade, the park along the river, is a great place to stroll, daydream, and occasionally feed a swan. One of the few bridges linking Luxembourg to Germany across the Moselle is in Remich; if you're heading out of the grand duchy, this is the last place to get gas at Luxembourg prices, which tend to be cheaper than at the German pumps.
Boating along the Moselle river is a great way to see the valley's varieties of geography. Small cruise boats go along the river, docking at various towns. Remich is often the best place to pick them up. Call ahead for current schedules and fares and to make reservations.
Remich at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $133 & up -- London: 4-Star Hotel near City Center, $200 Off Mercure London Bridge Hotel
- $2999 -- Croatia: 8-Night Escorted Trip w/Roundtrip Airfare Friendly Planet Travel
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- Seductive Spain IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours