The Redlands Travel Guide
The southern part of Luxembourg has been a desired destination for over two millennia. Caesar's troops founded a series of villages in the area, and the Celts also settled here. During the Middle Ages, the Redlands was the site of a string of important military fortifications and religious institutions—ruins of which, in many cases, still stand today. By the 19th century, iron and mineral deposits (the region gets its name from the red-tinted, iron-rich soil) were the basis for Luxembourg's strong mining and steel industries. The steel trade crashed in the mid-20th century, prompting a migration from the south into Luxembourg City. Now, however, the migration is going in the other direction—the Redlands has become a desirable place for city workers to commute from. Visitors here find castles to explore, train trips through authentic mines, and parks for kids and families.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Redlands restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Redlands
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Seductive Spain IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours
- Splendors of Sicily — $6,995 IExplore
Luxembourg is nestled between Belgium, Germany, and France, with a native language that’s a Flemish-Germanic... Read more
Author Chris Pavone’s new espionage thriller, The Expats, is about an American abroad who finds... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Although I originally planned to do a day driving trip from Brussels to Luxembourg, the forecast winter weather along with a bargain train ticket has made me change my plans. Read more
This past July I took a 28 day trip to Europe, from Iceland to Slovenia and back again to Amsterdam. Read more
We are a family of 4 Adults and 3 kids (aged 3, 4 and 9) will be arriving (08:15 am) at Frankfurt on 9th July 2013 as part of our Europe visit. Read more