- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Jenever Primer
The indigenous liquor of the Netherlands is jenever, a potent spirit that was invented in the mid-1600s, when an alchemist in Leiden discovered a way to distill juniper berries. It was first sold as medicine, but by the late 17th century people liked it so much that they soon started drinking it for fun. Soon the English got in on the jenever game. They bumped up the alcohol content, smoothed over the rough-edged flavor, and called it gin.
There are two basic kinds of jenever—oude (old) and jonge (young). The names aren't a matter of aging but of distilling techniques. Young jenever uses a newer (post-WWII) distilling technique that produces a lighter, less outspoken spirit. Old jenever has a much more pronounced flavor. If you want to drink jenever like a true Lowlander, find yourself a proeflokaal, an old-fashioned "tasting house." We recommend the legendary Wynand Fockink, which has been hydrating Amsterdammers since 1679. Once you have made your choice from the milder jonge saps or the more sophisticated oude spirits, let the fun begin. The bartender fills a sherrylike glass until it is so precariously full that you must lean over the bar, hands behind your back, and take your first sip without touching the glass. Only then are you free to lift the glass by its dainty stem. When jenever is served with a beer it is called a kopstoot, literally meaning "headbang." This should be taken as a warning to the uninitiated.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- See Europe! Flights to Amsterdam From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 4-Star Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam Fr $286+/Nt Save with Expedia, $31/night less
- $209 & Up: Lloyd 3-Star Hotel in Amsterdam Save with Expedia, $35/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Amsterdam Fr $1474 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 12 Nt Cruise! Celebrity Cruises Fr $999 Expedia