With a centuries-old reputation of being "the cleanest town in all the Netherlands," Broek-in-Waterland is still mostly immaculate—so much so that visitors are tempted to walk barefoot on the roads. It's hard to imagine, but the picture-perfect 17th-century wooden houses are said to be even tidier inside. Note the color differences: gray houses belonged to "commoners," whereas the wealthy class distinguished theirs with a purplish tint. There are opportunities for lunch or picnics around the town's big lake that freezes in the winter, making it an excellent spot for watching (or participating in) a Dutch obsession: ice-skating.
Elsewhere in Day Trips from Amsterdam
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Gems of Germany South IExplore
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air — $1,336 Sceptre Tours
- Impressions of Italy — $9,595 IExplore