Geilo has 39 Alpine slopes, three snowboard parks, 20 lifts, and plenty of slopes for children on both sides of the valley. Kite-skiing is popular here, with some of the best conditions in the world. You can purchase a downhill ski pass that allows you to use all the lifts. A free shuttle bus goes between the five ski centers. For cross-country skiers, there are 220 km (137 mi) of groomed and marked cross-country trails through woodland, Hardangervidda's hills and moors, and around Hallingskarvet, which is 6,341 feet above sea level. Snow rafting is the latest winter thrill: participants slide down snowy slopes on rubber rafts. Contact Geilo Skiheiser for further information. 32-09-59-20. www.skigeilo.com.
If you're looking for a younger crowd, be sure to spend some time near Halstensgård and Havsdalsenteret, two Geilo-area ski hubs that attract younger crowds to their long Alpine slopes. 32-09-10-20 or 32-09-17-77.
Vestlia, west of the Ustedalsfjord, has easier slopes so it's a good choice for families. 32-09-55-10.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Dogsled Tours
- Hiking and Bicycling
- Hiking and Climbing
- Hiking and Glacier Walking
- Horseback Riding
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Oslo Fr $261+/Nt Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Best Western Kampen Fr $172+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star Park Inn by Radisson Oslo in Oslo Fr $367+/Nt — $367 Expedia
- Save at 3-Star Radiumhospitalet l: $149 & Up in May — $149 Save with Expedia, $91/night less
- Oslo Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Anker Fr $187+/Nt — $187 Expedia