Fredrikstad's Gamlebyen (Old Town), Norway's oldest fortified city, lies peacefully at the mouth of the Glomma, the country's longest river. Its bastions and moat date from the 1600s. After spending time in the Old Town browsing the shops and museum, take a boat or drive on to the Hvaler archipelago (20 minutes away), a popular vacation spot.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Oslo Savings! Book at Park Inn by Radisson Oslo Fr $395+/Nt Expedia
- Radisson Blu Plaza , Oslo in May: $389 & Up Expedia
- $277 & Up: Best Western Kampen 4-Star Hotel in Oslo — $277 Expedia