Getting Here and Around
From Oslo take the E18, from Stavanger the E39. There are regular train departures for Kristiansand from both Oslo (between 4½ and 5 hours) and Stavanger (3 hours 15 minutes). Buses also serve these cities; they take roughly the same time as trains to get to Oslo, and a solid 4 hours for Stavanger.
Kristiansand is served by SAS, with nonstop flights from Oslo, Bergen, and Trondheim. Widerøe and Norwegian also link Kristiansand with other cities within Norway. Kjevik Airport is about 16 km (10 mi) northeast of the town center. The Flybussen airport bus departs from the coach station, rutebilstasjon, throughout the day and proceeds to Kjevik, stopping at downtown hotels along the way. A similar bus makes the return trip from the airport. The journey takes 25 minutes and costs NKr 80.
Several bus companies have daily departures for the 5½- to 6-hour journey between Oslo and Kristiansand, and for the 4-hour trip to Stavanger. All leave from Kristiansand bus terminal. Sørlandsruta has various buses covering the local area.
Trains leave Oslo S Station five times daily for the 4½- to 5-hour journey to Kristiansand. There are departures throughout the day for the 3½-hour Kristiansand-Stavanger route. Kristiansand's train station is at Vestre Strandgata.
From Oslo it is 320 km (199 mi) to Kristiansand. Route E18 parallels the coastline but stays slightly inland on the eastern side of the country and farther inland in the western part. Although seldom wider than two lanes, the route's very flat and makes for some very easy driving. Kristiansand taxis are connected with a central dispatching office; fare to the airport runs about NKr 250.
Walking tours of Kristiansand are offered only in summer; ask at the tourist office. The City Train is a 15-minute tour of the center part of town, and runs from June to August and around the winter holidays. If you're not in the mood for an organized tour, Kristiansand is best gotten around by foot or bus, depending on your mood or the weather.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Radisson Blu Atlantic Fr $188+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Viste Strand l Fr $194+/Nt Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Park Inn by Radisson Stavanger Fr $152+/Nt — $152 Expedia
- Small budget: Book Myhregaarden 3 Nts in May Fr $245+/Nt — $245 Expedia