In the very heart of Hardanger lies Utne, a tiny village that rests at the tip of the peninsula dividing the inlet of Hardangerfjord from the arm that stretches south towards Odda, the Sørfjord. It's an excellent starting point for exploring the area. Going south on both sides of the fjord, you can explore farming communities with traditions dating back to the Middle Ages, or go hiking in the steep mountainsides and the plateaus or glaciers beyond.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe