- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go to Krakow
With the arrival of low-cost airlines and continued expansion of the local airport, the number of visitors to Kraków is increasing. Although tourists now arrive in great numbers all year-round, the peak season to visit Kraków is between June and September. In terms of weather, May and September are probably the most pleasant months to visit the city, but Kraków has something to offer for each season.
Temperatures can get very cold in the winter, down to-20°C (-4°F), and summer days are reliably hot, with temperatures of up to 35°C (95°F). The weather is often unpredictable and can turn very rapidly; therefore, it is advisable to bring an umbrella and a jacket even when you are traveling in the summer, just in case.
Krakovians love any opportunity for a celebration, and no matter when you come to town, you are almost sure to stumble upon some kind of cultural festival of music, theater, film, or dance. Some of the most famous include the Shanties sea songs festival in February; the Misteria Paschalia in April, a Polish Lent and Easter festival; the Jewish Culture Festival, Street Theatre Festival, and Summer Jazz Festival, all of which are in July; the Music in the Old Kraków festival in August; an Organ Music Festival throughout the summer; Sacrum Profanum in September, combining "sacred" and "profane" musical traditions; and the All Souls' Jazz Festival at the end of October and early November.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Start 3 Nts in May Fr $100+/Nt Expedia
- Krakow Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $157+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Krakow at Panorama Fr $42+/Nt — $42 Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Krakow this May Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Expedia
- Book in Krakow: Save at the Domino Apartments in May Fr $71+/Nt — $71 Expedia