Within Portugal, expressos are the best cheap long-distance option—they're comfortable, direct buses, some with video and food service. Operators include Rede Expressos (www.rede-expressos.pt); Rodonorte (www.rodonorte.pt), in the north; and Eva Transportes (www.eva-bus.com), in the south. Book ahead. Tourism offices can help with schedules, and most travel agents sell tickets.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- iExplore Portugal IExplore
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- Passionate Portugal IExplore
- Passionate Portugal — $7,760 IExplore