- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Take the same precautions when using taxicabs in St. Petersburg as in Moscow. Although taxis roam the city quite frequently, it's far easier—and certainly safer—to order a cab through your hotel. Fares vary according to the driver's whim; you're expected to negotiate. Foreigners can often be charged much more than Russians, and oblivious tourists tend to be gouged. Make sure that you agree on a price before getting into the car, and try to have the correct money handy. There's sometimes a delay, but usually the cab arrives within 20-30 minutes; the company will phone you back when the driver is nearby. If you order a cab this way, you pay the official state fare, which turns out to be reasonable in dollars, plus a fee for the reservation. No tip is expected beyond rounding up the amount on the meter. If you hail a cab or a private car on the street, expect to pay the ruble equivalent of $5 for most usual trips.
Central Taxi. 812/312-0022.
Petersburg Taxi. 068.
Taxi Million. 812/700-0000.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- ASAP Tickets Sale! Flights to Saint Petersburg From 497 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- St. Petersburg Savings! Book at Atrium Fr $153+/Nt Expedia
- 3-Star Nevsky Grand Fr $147+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $26/night less
- Super Savings on St. Petersburg 7 Nts Htl + Air Fr $1,196 Travelocity
- Hot Deal on a 27 Nt Cruise! Seabourn Cruise Line Fr $5,499 Expedia