- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Look for some wonderfully painted homes at Cullen, in the old fishing town below the railway viaduct. The real attractions of this charming little seaside resort, however, are its white-sand beach (the water is quite cold, though) and the fine view west toward the aptly named Bowfiddle Rock. In summer Cullen bustles with families carrying buckets and spades and eating ice cream and chips.
A stroll past the small but once busy harbor reveals numerous fishers' cottages, huddled together with small yards where they dried their nets. Beyond these, the vast stretch of beach curves gently round the bay. Above is the disused Victorian viaduct—formerly the Peterhead train line—and the 18th-century town.
Cullen at a Glance
Elsewhere in Aberdeen and the Northeast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore Aberdeen For Less! Book Fr $194+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $81/night less
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Aberdeen - Exhibition Centre Fr $138+/Nt Expedia
- $196 & Up: Cheap Aberdeen Stay — $196 Save with Hotels.com, $21/night less
- Small budget: Book Menzies Dyce 3 Nts in May Fr $116+/Nt — $116 Expedia
- 4-Star Copthorne Aberdeen Fr $186+/Nt — $186 Save with Hotels.com, $62/night less