Bicycling in Edinburgh and the Lothians
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Edinburgh is not the friendliest city for bikes; there's a lot of traffic, even on weekends. The tourist information center can point you toward some quieter routes just beyond the city center. Rentals cost £75 per week for a 21-speed or mountain bike. Daily rates (24 hours) are about £16, with half days costing £12. Bike Trax. A variety of rental bikes is available at Bike Trax. 11-13 Lochrin Pl., Tollcross, Edinburgh, EH3 9QX. 0131/228-6633. www.biketrax.co.uk.
Edinburgh Cycle Tours. Edinburgh Cycle Tours leads guided bicycle tours of the city from April to October. A three-hour tour runs twice a day and costs £20, which includes bike rental, a helmet, and waterproof gear. 0796/644-7206.
Grange Cricket Club. Between April and September, the beautiful old Grange Cricket Club ground, established in 1832, stages county cricket games and hosts various Scots league matches. Local club games are free to watch and make for a civilized introduction to the game. Portgower Pl., Stockbridge, Edinburgh, EH4 1HQ. 0131/332-2148. www.grangecricket.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2386 & up -- Scotland: 6-Nt. Trip w/5-Star Hotels & Air Great Value Vacations
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1555 & up -- Scotland 6-Nt. Bed & Breakfast Escape w/Air — $1,555 Sceptre Tours
- $1606 & up -- Scotland & Ireland 8-Nt. B&B Escape w/Air — $1,606 Great Value Vacations