Golf in Edinburgh and the Lothians
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
SSS indicates the "standard scratch score," the score a scratch golfer could achieve in ideal conditions. Edinburgh and Scotland Information Centre. VisitScotland provides a free leaflet on golf in Scotland, available from the Edinburgh and Scotland Information Centre. 3 Princes St., East End, Edinburgh, EH2 2QP. 0131/625-8625. www.edinburgh.org.
Braid Hills. Known to locals as Braids, this 18-hole course first opened in 1897 and extends over several small hills 3 mi south of Edinburgh. Expect wonderful views on a clear day of Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh Castle, North Berwick Law, and the Forth to Fife. The nearby 9-hole Princes course, which opened in 2003, is fun for beginners and families. Braids Hill Rd., Braidburn, Edinburgh, EH10 6JY. 0131/447-6666. www.edinburghleisuregolf.co.uk/courses/braid-hills. £20-£24. Braids: 18 holes, 5,865 yds, par 70; Princes: 9 holes, 2,006 yds, par 31.
Bruntsfield Links. Several tournaments are held each year at this championship course, opened in 1898 a couple of miles northwest of the city. 32 Barnton Ave., Davidson's Mains, Edinburgh, EH4 6JH. 0131/336-2006. www.bruntsfieldlinks.co.uk. Weekdays £65, weekends £70. 18 holes, 6,446 yds, par 71.
Duddingston. You can find this public parkland course, founded in 1895, 2 mi east of the city. A key feature and a perilous golfing hazard amid its undulating terrain is the Braid Burn. Duddingston Rd. W, Duddingston, Edinburgh, EH16 3QD. 0131/661-7688. www.duddingstongolfclub.co.uk. £38. 18 holes, 6,525 yds, Par 72.
Liberton. This rolling public parkland course built in 1920 has tight fairways and smallish greens. Kingston Grange, 297 Gilmerton Rd., Liberton, Edinburgh, EH16 5UJ. 0131/664-3009. www.libertongc.co.uk. Weekdays £31, weekends £36. 18 holes, 5,344 yds, Par 67.
Lothianburn. You can see fine views of the Midlothian countryside from this hillside course, founded in 1893. It's located 6 mi south of the city. Biggar Rd., Fairmilehead, Edinburgh, EH10 7DU. 0131/445-2288. www.lothianburngc.co.uk. Weekdays £15, weekends £20. 18 holes, 5,692 yds, Par 71.
Murrayfield. Only five minutes from the city center, this heathland-style course is kept in fine condition and commands outstanding views over Edinburgh. 43 Murrayfield Rd., Murrayfield, Edinburgh, EH12 6EU. 0131/337-3478. www.murrayfieldgolfclub.co.uk. £40. 18 holes, 5,781 yds, Par 70.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2386 & up -- Scotland: 6-Nt. Trip w/5-Star Hotels & Air Great Value Vacations
- $1799 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1555 & up -- Scotland 6-Nt. Bed & Breakfast Escape w/Air — $1,555 Sceptre Tours
- $1606 & up -- Scotland & Ireland 8-Nt. B&B Escape w/Air — $1,606 Great Value Vacations