- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Pentlands Review
This unmistakable range of hills begins almost in the suburbs of the city. There are several other access points along the A702 running parallel to the hills—the best is Flotterstone, where you can find a parking lot, pub, and quiet roads for walking.
Midlothian Ski Centre at Hillend. The longest artificial ski slope in Britain, the Midlothian Ski Centre has an all-year chairlift (£2.40) that provides magnificent views, even for nonskiers. It operates Monday through Saturday from 9:30 am to 9 pm, and on Sunday from 9:30 to 7. Hillend, EH10 7DU. 0131/445-4433. www.midlothian.gov.uk.
- Location: The Pentlands
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2386 & up -- Scotland: 6-Nt. Trip w/5-Star Hotels & Air Great Value Vacations
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1555 & up -- Scotland 6-Nt. Bed & Breakfast Escape w/Air — $1,555 Sceptre Tours
- $1606 & up -- Scotland & Ireland 8-Nt. B&B Escape w/Air — $1,606 Great Value Vacations
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
With many thanks to many posters here who commented in my earlier thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-weeks-w-6-year-old-in-uk.cfm
I didn't want to disappear into the ether and i wanted to Read more
We are planning to travel from Amsterdam to Harwich, England by train and overnight ferry. Read more