- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hike the Highland Way
West Highland Way. The long-distance walkers' route, the West Highland Way (www.west-highland-way.co.uk), begins in Glasgow, running 96 mi (154 km) from the lowlands of Central Scotland to the highlands at Fort William. Nearly 50,000 people discover the glens each year, climbing the hills and listening to birds singing in the tree canopy. This is not a difficult walk, but travelers should keep Scotland's ever-changing weather in mind. From Milngavie, in Glasgow, the route passes along the banks of Loch Lomond before snaking northwards into the more demanding hills beyond and finishing at Fort William.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises