The Northern Highlands and the Western Isles Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to The Northern Highlands and the Western Isles
Explore Skye, the misty island: The landscape ranges from the lush, undulating hills and coastal tracks of Sleat in the Garden of Skye to the deep glens that cut into the saw-toothed peaks of the Cuillin Mountains. Farther north are stunning geological features like the Old Man of Storr and Kilt Rock.
Tuck into some seafood: Amazing regional specialties abound. Sample Bracadale crab, Dunvegan Bay langoustines, and Sconser king scallops, as well as the local smoked salmon, lobster, scallops, and oysters. Finish up with Stornoway black pudding.
Walk the coast in the Outer Hebrides: There are no wilder places in Britain to enjoy an invigorating coastal walk than on the islands of Lewis and the Uists. Expect vast swaths of golden sand set against blue bays, or—when the weather is rough—giant waves crashing against the rocks.
Get close to nature: Seals, deer, otters, as well as an abundance of birdlife can be seen throughout the Northern Highlands and Western Isles. Don't miss a boating foray to the Handa Island bird reserve, off Scourie.
Drive a single-track road: In the Northern Highlands, take a drive on single-track roads like Destitution Road, north of Gairloch, which lead through the most dramatic scenery in Britain. The area is a primeval landscape where strange craggy mountains, with Gaelic and Nordic names like An Teallach, Suilven, and Stac Pollaidh, jut out of vast, desolate bog lands dotted with lochans.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3 Nts in Inverness this May Fr $255+/Nt Expedia
- Ramada Encore Inverness on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $126+/Nt Save with Expedia, $41/night less