Hiking in Slovenia
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Slovenes love their mountains, and when you reach the northwest of the country you will understand why. The most popular alpine hiking route runs from Maribor, near the Austrian border, to Ankaran on the Adriatic coast. It crosses Triglav National Park and can be walked in 30 days. For less devoted walkers, a day or two of backpacking from one of the alpine resorts is an invigorating way to explore the landscape. Bovec, Bohinj, and Krajnska Gora are all excellent hiking bases. Mountain paths are usually well-marked, and mountain lodges have dormitory-style accommodations. Detailed maps are available at local tourist-information centers.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe