- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Wine & Spirits
Slovenes enjoy drinking and produce some excellent wines, but very little of the total output is exported. You can tour the three main wine regions following a series of established "wine roads" (vinska cesta). These routes pass through rolling hills, woodlands, and villages and lead directly to vineyards and wine stores. The best white wines, sivi pinot (pinot grigio) and beli pinot (pinot blanc), are produced in the Podravje region in northeast Slovenia. A notable red is Teran, a varietal made from the refosk grape and produced in the Karst region to the southwest. There has been a recent drive to introduce more sparkling wines: look for the excellent Penina, made using the classic Champagne method from chardonnay and pinot blanc grapes. The favorite national spirit is the potent rakija. The base is alcohol distilled from fruit; a variety of wild herbs are added later to give it a more distinct flavor.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe