- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Carnival, on the days leading up to Ash Wednesday, and Semana Santa (Holy Week, between Palm Sunday and Easter) are big celebrations, especially in Córdoba, Seville, and Cádiz
Córdoba's Festival de los Patios (Patio Festival) during the second week of May is fun to take part in; the Concurso Nacional de Flamenco (National Flamenco Competition) is also during the second week of May, but only every third year. The city's annual Feria de Mayo is the city's main street party, held during the last week of May.
In Seville, the secular Feria de Abril focuses on horses and bullfights.
May is Córdoba's Cruces de Mayo (Festival of Crosses) and its floral patio competition.
Early June in Huelva means the gypsy favorite, the Romería del Rocío festival, a pilgrimage on horseback and carriage to the hermitage of la Virgen del Rocío (Our Lady of the Dew).
From mid-June to mid-July is Granada's Festival Internacional de Música y Danza de Granada (www.granadafestival.org), with some events in the Alhambra itself.
The International Guitar Festival brings major artists to Córdoba in early July.
Early August showcases horse races on the beaches of Sanlúcar de Barrameda.
May and September are the most exciting times to visit Jerez: for the Feria del Caballo (Horse Fair), in early May, carriages and riders fill the streets, and purebreds from the School of Equestrian Art compete in races and dressage displays. September brings the Fiesta de Otoño (Autumn Festival), when the first of the grape harvest is blessed on the steps of the cathedral.
Jaén celebrates the olive harvest in the second week of October.
November is the time for Granada's Festival Internacional de Jazz de Granada (www.jazzgranada.net).
Early December means Granada's Encuentro Flamenco festival, which attracts some of the country's best performers.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 4-Star Guadalete Fr $54+/Nt Save with Expedia, $8/night less
- Save in Jerez De La Frontera: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $79+/Nt Expedia
- Jerez De La Frontera Savings! Book at Dona Blanca Fr $51+/Nt — $51 Expedia
- Tryp Jerez on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $58+/Nt — $58 Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- Book 4-Star M.A. Princesa Ana Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Save with Expedia, $14/night less