Planning Your Time
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Planning Your Time
A week in Andalusia should include visits to Córdoba, Seville, and Granada to see, respectively, the Mezquita, the cathedral and its Giralda minaret, and the Alhambra. Two days in each city nearly fills the week, though the extra day would be best spent in Seville, Andalusia's most vibrant concentration of art, architecture, culture, and excitement.
Indeed, a week or more in Seville alone would be ideal, especially during the Semana Santa celebration, when the city becomes a giant street party. With more time on your hands, Cádiz, Jerez de la Frontera, and Sanlúcar de Barrameda form a three- or four-day jaunt through flamenco, sherry, Andalusian equestrian culture, and tapas emporiums.
A three-day trip through the Sierra de Aracena will introduce you to a lovely Atlantic upland, filled with Mediterranean black pigs deliciously fattened on acorns, while the Alpujarras, the mountain range east of Granada, is famed for its pueblos blancos (villages of whitewashed houses). In this region you can find anywhere from three days to a week of hiking and trekking opportunities in some of the country's highest and wildest reaches. For nature enthusiasts, the highland Cazorla National Park and the wetland Doñana National Park are Andalusia's highest and lowest outdoor treasures.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the M.A Puerta de los Aljibes 3 Nts in May Fr $135+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Sale! Save 18% on this Stay.: Hesperia Granada in May Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- Book 5-Star Hospes Palacio de los Patos in Granada Fr $555+/Nt — $555 Save with Expedia, $297/night less
- $121 & Up: Macia Gran Via 3-Star Hotel in Granada — $121 Save with Expedia, $38/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Granada Fr $50+/Nt — $50 Save with Expedia, $8/night less