- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
One of Barcelona's two promontories, this hill bears a distinctive name, generally translated as "To Thee I Will Give" and referring to the Catalan legend that this was the spot from which Satan tempted Christ with all the riches of the earth below (namely, Barcelona). When the wind blows the smog out to sea, the views from this 1,789-foot peak are legendary. Tibidabo's skyline is marked by a commercialized neo-Gothic church built by Enric Sagnier in 1902, a radio mast that used to seem tall, and—looking like something out of the 25th century—the 854-foot communications tower, the Torre de Collserola, designed by Sir Norman Foster. There's not much to see here except the vista, particularly from the tower. Clear days are few and far between in 21st-century Barcelona, but if you hit one, this two-hour excursion is worth considering.
La Venta. The restaurant La Venta at the base of the funicular is excellent and a fine place to sit in the sun in cool weather (straw sun hats are provided). Pl. Doctor Andreu s/n, Vallvidrera, 08035. 93/212-6455.
El Mirador de la Venta. El Mirador de la Venta has great views and contemporary cuisine to match. Pl. Doctor Andreu s/n, Vallvidrera. 93/212-6455.
Mirablau. The bar Mirablau, overlooking the city lights, is a popular late-night hangout. Pl. Doctor Andreu s/n. 93/418-5879.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $859 & up -- Mediterranean 7-Night Summer Cruise — $859 Royal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- 7-Night Roundtrip Spain Cruise in Spring — $599 Royal Caribbean
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
And we're off! Read more
Picking up car at Bordeaux airport staying around St Emilion and then driving south to Orx and then east to midi pyrenees. Read more
· News & Features
Just because this sensuous Mediterranean city epitomizes Catalonian cool doesn't mean it's unsuitable... Read more
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more
Like the rest of Spain (and, really Europe), Barcelona lights up during the holidays with festive displays... Read more