- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
San Sebastián is a very walkable city, though local buses (€1.40) are also convenient. Buses for Pasajes (Pasaia), Errenteria, Astigarraga, and Oiartzun originate in Calle Okendo, one block west of the Urumea River behind the Hotel Maria Cristina. Bus A-1 goes to Astigarraga; A-2 is the bus to Pasajes.
The EuskoTren, the city train, is popularly known as "El Topo" (The Mole) for the amount of time it spends underground. It originates at the Amara Viejo station in Paseo Easo and tunnels its way to Hendaye, France every 30 minutes (€2.10; 45 mins). EuskoTren also serves Bilbao (€5; 2 hrs, 40 mins) hourly and Zarautz (€2.10; 40 mins) every half hour.
For the funicular up to Monte Igueldo (943/213525 www.monteigueldo.es €2.70) the station is just behind Ondarreta beach at the western end of La Concha.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Bilbao Savings! Book at Silken Gran Domine Bilbao Fr $264+/Nt Save with Expedia, $43/night less
- Book in Bilbao: Save at the Vista Alegre in May Fr $71+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Bilbao this May Fr $167+/Nt — $167 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Barcelo Nervion in May: $124 & Up — $124 Save with Expedia, $30/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Bilbao this May Fr $90+/Nt — $90 Save with Expedia, $9/night less