- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Central Spain is the land of festivals, and it's the best place to find an authentic, truly Spanish vibe. Cuenca's Easter celebration and Toledo's Corpus Christi draw people from all over Spain. During the pre-Lenten carnival, León and nearby La Bañeza are popular party centers. Expect crowds and book accommodations in advance. Caceres' annual World of Music, Arts, and Dance (WOMAD) festival attracts some 75,000 each May. On December 7, Jarandilla de la Vera fills the city with bonfires to celebrate Los Escobazos, when locals play-fight with torches made out of brooms. And in Mérida, the highlight of the cultural calendar is the annual Festival de Teatro Clásico, held in the Roman theater from early July to mid-August.
Gastronomic festivals abound. In early May, Trujillo's Feria del Queso (cheese festival) is popular with foodies. In Cáceres in September, there's the Celebración del Cerdo y Vino (pork and wine celebration), where the area's innumerable pork products are prepared in public demonstrations.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $51 & Up: Apart Campus San Mames 3-Star Hotel in Leon Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- 4-Star Alfonso V Fr $56+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Starting Fr $63: Great Leon Price — $63 Save with Hotels.com, $7/night less
- Small budget: Book Melia Olid 3 Nts in May Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Save in Valladolid: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia