- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Bus and boat tours from Barcelona to Girona and Figueres are run by Julià Travel. Buses leave Barcelona at 9 and return at 6. The price for Girona and Figueres is €71 per person. Pullmantur runs tours to several points on the Costa Brava.
Hiking and walking tours around Valencia and the Costa Blanca are an alternative to relaxing at the beach. The Sierra Mariola and Sierra Aitana regions are both easily accessible from the Costa Blanca resorts, and many companies, including Abdet, Fellwalker, and Mountain Walks, most based in the United Kingdom, offer "walking vacations."
There are also several riding schools, which provide classes as well as trekking opportunities. Pick up brochures at the local tourist offices.
Water sports are widely available, and you can learn to sail in most of the major resorts. Kite-surfing is becoming increasingly popular; the necessary gear is available for rent direct from several beaches, including Santa Pola, and the same applies to windsurfing. Scuba diving is also a favorite and in the smaller coastal towns it's possible to go into reserve waters if you book ahead.
If pedal power is more your thing, several companies offer a range of cycling holidays: Ciclo Costa Blanca is a good place to start.
Ciclo Costa Blanca (www.ciclocostablanca.com.)
Julià Travel (93/3176454. www.juliatravel.com.)
Mountain Walks (965/511044. www.mountainwalks.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $1449 & up -- Balcony: Summer France, Italy & Spain Cruise Royal Caribbean