- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Antequera became a stronghold of the Moors after their defeat at Córdoba and Seville in the 13th century. Its fall to the Christians in 1410 paved the way for the reconquest of Granada—the Moors retreated, leaving a fortress on the town heights. It is a handsome and historic town with some magnificent baroque buildings and a staggering 30 churches.
Next to the town fortress is the former church of Santa María la Mayor, one of 27 churches, convents, and monasteries in Antequera. Built of sandstone in the 16th century, it has a ribbed vault that is now a concert hall. The church of San Sebastián has a brick baroque Mudejar tower topped by a winged figure called the Angelote (Big angel), the symbol of Antequera. The church of Nuestra Señora del Carmen (Our Lady of Carmen) has an extraordinary baroque altarpiece that towers to the ceiling.
Antequera at a Glance
Elsewhere in Costa del Sol and Costa de Almería
- Agua Amarga
- The Axarquía
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Tryp Indalo Almeria Fr $62+/Nt Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Book 4-Star Husa Gran Fama in Almer?a Fr $106+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $529 Expedia
- Small budget: Book Husa Don Manuel 3 Nts in May Fr $60+/Nt — $60 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 10 Nt Cruise! Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $649 — $649 Expedia