- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mijas is in the foothills of the sierra just north of the coast. The pretty whitewashed town was discovered long ago by foreign retirees, and, though the large, touristy square may look like an extension of the Costa, beyond it are hilly residential streets with time-worn homes. Try to visit late in the afternoon, after the tour buses have left.
Mijas extends down to the coast, and the coastal strip between Fuengirola and Marbella is officially called Mijas-Costa. This area has several hotels, restaurants, and golf courses.
Mijas at a Glance
Elsewhere in Costa del Sol and Costa de Almería
- Agua Amarga
- The Axarquía
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Tryp Indalo Almeria: $63 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Small budget: Book Embajador 3 Nts in May Fr $35+/Nt Save with Expedia, $8/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $529 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Almer?a this May Fr $61+/Nt — $61 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $599 — $599 Expedia