Extremadura Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Rugged Extremadura is a find for any lover of the outdoors, so bring your mountain bike, hiking boots, and binoculars. The lush Jerte Valley and the craggy peaks of the Sierra de Gredos mark Upper Extremadura's fertile landscape. South of the Jerte Valley is the historical town of Plasencia and the 15th-century Yuste Monastery. In Extremadura's central interior are the provincial capital of Cáceres and the Monfragüe Nature Park. Lower Extremadura's main towns—Mérida, Badajoz, Olivenza, and Zafra—bolstered by the sizable Portuguese population, have long exuded a Portuguese flavor.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Extremadura restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Extremadura
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Small budget: Stay in Badajoz this May Fr $74+/Nt Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- $59 & Up: Cheap Badajoz Stay Save with Hotels.com, $78/night less
- Badajoz Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Las Bovedas Fr $66+/Nt — $66 Expedia
- Super Low Badajoz Rate: Book Fr $67+/Nt — $67 Save with Hotels.com, $328/night less
- Badajoz Savings! Book at AC Badajoz by Marriott Fr $92+/Nt — $92 Save with Expedia, $11/night less
Extremaduran food relies on peasant fare, with strong character and hearty flair. In addition to fresh produce, Extremadurans rely on pigs, of... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now45.0° F Mostly Cloudy 88% Humidity
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
And we're off! Read more