When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
Madrid is hot and dry in summer—with temperatures reaching 95°F to 105°F in July and August—and chilly in winter, with minimum temperatures in the low 30s or slightly below in January and February, though snow in the city is rare. The most pleasant time to visit is spring, especially May, when the city honors its patron saint and bullfighting season begins. June, and September through December are also good.
The Festival de Otoño (Autumn Festival), from mid-May to early June, blankets the city with pop concerts, poetry readings, flamenco, and ballet and theater from world-renowned companies.
If you can, avoid Madrid in July and August—especially August, even though fares are better and there are plenty of concerts and open-air activities; many locals flee to the coast or to the mountains, so many restaurants, bars, and shops are closed.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Enjoy Spain on a Budget! Flights to Madrid From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Egido Via Lusitana on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $79+/Nt Expedia
- Atlantico in May: $158 & Up Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Madrid Fr $1320 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Madrid Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Save with Expedia, $13/night less