The Pyrenees Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Pyrenees Restaurant Reviews
Pyrenean cuisine is hearty mountain fare characterized by thick soups, stews, roasts, and local game. Ingredients are prepared with slightly different techniques and recipes in each different valley, village, and kitchen.
The three main culinary schools across the Pyrenees match the three main cultural identities of the area—from east to west, they are Catalan, Aragonese, and Basque. Within these three main groups there are further subdivisions corresponding to the valleys or regions of La Garrotxa, La Cerdanya, Ribagorça, Vall d'Aran, Benasque, Alto Aragón, Roncal, and Baztán. Game is common throughout. Trout, mountain goat, deer, boar, partridge, rabbit, duck, and quail are roasted over coals or cooked in aromatic stews called civets in Catalonia and estofadas in Aragón and the Basque Pyrenees. Fish and meat are often seared on slabs of slate (a la llosa in Catalan, a la piedra in Castilian Spanish). Sheep, goat, and cow cheeses vary from valley to valley, along with types of sausages and charcuterie.
Browse Pyrenees Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 4-Star Tryp Zaragoza Fr $56+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Zaragoza Savings! Book at Eurostars Plaza Delicias Fr $58+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Zenit Don Yo Fr $52+/Nt — $52 Hotels.com
- AC Zaragoza Los Enlaces by Marriott in May: $78 & Up — $78 Save with Expedia, $14/night less
- 4-Star Melia Zaragoza Fr $62+/Nt — $62 Save with Hotels.com, $21/night less