Hiking the Pyrenees
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Hiking the Pyrenees
There are many reasons to visit the Pyrenees: skiing, gastronomy, or art and architecture; but hiking affords an ideal view of the scenery and is one of the best ways to drink in the stunning landscape. No matter how spectacular the mountains seem from paved roads, they are exponentially more dazzling from upper hiking trails that are accessible only on foot. Day hikes or overnight two-day treks to mountain refugios (refugis in Catalan) in the Ordesa or Aigüestortes national parks, in the Alberes range, or on the hike from Col de Núria to Ulldeter reveal the full natural splendor of the Pyrenees.
Local tourist offices can provide maps and recommend day hikes, while specialized bookshops such as Barcelona's Quera (Carrer Petritxol 2) have complete Pyrenean maps as well as books with detailed hiking instructions for the entire mountain range from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne by Georges Véron (the 2007 edition is co-authored by Jérôme Bonneaux), as yet untranslated from the French, is the classic guide across the Pyrenean crest. Other books to look for include The Pyrenees by Kev Reynolds (Cicerone Press), with practical info, maps, and photos by one of the United Kingdom's most widely used publishers of guidebooks for the outdoors, and Trekking in the Pyrenees (Trailblazer Publications). Also check out www.pyrenees-pirineos.com for trails and information.
Hiking in the Pyrenees should always be undertaken carefully: proper footwear, headwear, water supply, and weather-forecast awareness are essential. Even in the middle of summer, a sudden snowstorm can turn a day hike to tragedy.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Eurostars Rey Fernando 4 in May: $55 & Up Expedia
- 4-Star Tryp Zaragoza Fr $56+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Save in Zaragoza: Book 3 Nts in May at Zenit Don Yo Fr $71+/Nt — $71 Save with Expedia, $8/night less
- Zaragoza Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $79+/Nt — $79 Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Book 4-Star Husa Puerta de Zaragoza Fr $68+/Nt — $68 Save with Expedia, $11/night less