- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Vall d'Aran and Environs
The Vall d'Aran is at the western edge of the Catalan Pyrenees and the northwestern corner of Catalonia. North of the main Pyrenean axis, it's the Catalan Pyrenees' only Atlantic valley, opening north into the plains of Aquitania and drained by the Garonne, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean above Bordeaux. The 48-km (30-mi) drive from Bonaigua Pass to the Pont del Rei border with France follows the riverbed.
The valley's Atlantic personality is evidenced by its climate—wet and cold—and its language: the 6,000 inhabitants speak Aranés, a dialect of Gascon French derived from the Occitanian language group. (Spanish and Catalan are also universally spoken.) Originally part of the Aquitanian county of Comminges, the Vall d'Aran maintained feudal ties to the Pyrenees of Spanish Aragón and became part of Catalonia-Aragón in the 12th century. In 1389 the valley was assigned to Catalonia.
Neither as wide as the Cerdanya nor as oppressively narrow and vertical as Andorra, the Vall d'Aran has a sense of well-being and order, an architectural harmony unique in Catalonia. The clusters of iron-gray slate roofs, the lush vegetation, and the dormer windows (a sign of French influence) all make the Vall d'Aran a distinct geographic and cultural pocket that happens to have washed up on the Spanish side of the border.
Elsewhere in The Pyrenees
- Aragüés del Puerto
- Baztán Valley
- Bellver de Cerdanya
- Burguete (Auritz)
- Hecho and Ansó Valleys
- La Seu d'Urgell
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $54 & Up: Cesaraugusta 3-Star Hotel in Zaragoza Expedia
- 4-Star Zenit Don Yo Fr $51+/Nt Hotels.com
- Special deal: 3-Star Oriente Fr $71+/Nt — $71 Expedia
- Book in Zaragoza Fr $66+/Nt — $66 Save with Hotels.com, $36/night less
- Book the Husa Puerta de Zaragoza 3 Nts in May Fr $68+/Nt — $68 Save with Expedia, $11/night less