- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rental cars are readily available in Sweden and are relatively inexpensive. Because of the availability and efficiency of public transport, there is little point in using a car within the city limits. If you are traveling elsewhere in Sweden, you'll find that roads are uncongested and well marked but that gasoline is expensive. All major car-rental firms are represented, including Avis, Hertz, and Sixt. Statoil gas stations also rent out cars, as do local Swedish companies such as Berras and Auto, which can sometimes have better prices than the major companies.
Approach the city by either the E20 or E18 highway from the west, or the E4 from the north or south. The roads are clearly marked and well sanded and plowed in winter. Signs for downtown read centrum. Driving in Stockholm is often deliberately frustrated by city planners, who have imposed many restrictions to keep traffic down. Keep an eye out for bus lanes, marked with buss on the pavement. Driving in that lane can result in a ticket. Get a good city map, called a Trafikkarta, available at most service stations for around SKr 75.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Stockholm Savings! Book at Vanadis l And Bath Fr $136+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Diplomat Fr $372+/Nt Save with Expedia, $120/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Royal Caribbean International Fr $899 Expedia
- Small budget: Book Stallmastaregarden 3 Nts in May Fr $183+/Nt — $183 Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Hot Deal on a 5 Nt Cruise! Crystal Cruises Fr $2,425 — $2,425 Expedia