- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Three corners: Not many cities offer a more cosmopolitan mix. Here Switzerland merges with Germany and France, and Basel is home to some 150 nationalities.
Art attack: This city of the arts has galleries full of old master paintings and some pictures so contemporary the paint is still drying—more than 30 museums cater to every taste.
Fasnacht: Each spring during its three-day Lenten celebration the city's streets are filled with spectacularly costumed revelers, bands, and pipers.
Münster madness: Not only is this cathedral an amazing piece of architecture, it also offers fabulous views of the city and the river Rhine.
Noble dust: A short boat ride from Basel, the Colonia Augusta Raurica is the oldest Roman settlement on the Rhine, complete with a restored 1st-century BC theater.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Basel Savings! Book at BEST WESTERN Stuecki Basel Fr $125+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- RAMADA PLAZA Basel and Conference Center in May: $213 & Up Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Hot Deal on a 21 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $8,319 Expedia
- Book in Basel: Save this May Fr $272+/Nt — $272 Expedia
- See Basel with Uniworld Boutique Cruises, 7 Nts Fr $2,839 — $2,839 Expedia