- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Basel Hotel Reviews
Grand as a palace? Way-cool as a converted prison? An art lover's paradise? Or cozy and comfortably lived-in like grandma's house? The hotel scene in Basel is definitely varied. But with its busy convention center offering a different trade fair most months, this is a city that prides itself on being especially business-friendly. Many hotels therefore place their priorities with their business clientele (a never-ending supply), with leisure travelers taking second place. But don't write off the city's business-oriented hotels as a place to stay—these often drop their prices significantly over the weekend and offer superb amenities. In many hotels the lobbies are minimalist chic, with signs to the meeting rooms and business facilities more prominent than any paintings on the wall.
At the top of the pile, hotel-wise, is Les Trois Rois, which feels like a palace and is frequented by visiting heads of state and the glitterati. Originality also abounds, ranging from the converted cloister-cum-prison that is now the trendy Au Violon, through the artist's canvas of a hotel, Teufelhof, to the relaxed, intellectual dormlike feel of Rochat. Many hotels offer a river view and a calm, relaxed, designer interior. Cheaper hotels range from the all-orange extravaganza of Easyhotel to the homely feel of Hecht am Rhein.
All in all, the hotel scene in Basel is not known for its ever-changing establishments but instead for its stability. The hotel you stayed in 10 years ago is probably still there and will welcome you again with open arms into its recently exquisitely renovated interior. When there's a trade fair in town, prices shoot through the roof, and every bed for miles can be filled, so book well ahead. This is also true at Fasnacht, during Art Basel, and many of the other city happenings, when prices can rise as much as 40%. Breakfast tends to be included only in the more budget-oriented hotels, while the expensive ones, like Les Trois Rois, stick it on top of their bill. All Basel hotels equip their guests with free travel passes (Basel Mobility Ticket) for use in the city during their stay.
Browse Basel Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Dorint An der Messe / Basel Fr $147+/Nt Expedia
- Book 4-Star RAMADA PLAZA Basel and Conference Center Fr $221+/Nt Save with Expedia, $25/night less
- Hot Deal on a 9 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $3,561 Expedia
- May deal: Radisson Blu , Basel Fr $254+/Nt — $254 Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Hot Deal on a 12 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $4,291 — $4,291 Expedia