- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Lived-in history: UNESCO only made Bern a World Heritage Site in 1983, but the city's cobblestone arcades and clock towers have been beautifully preserved since the 1400s.
Feats of Klee: The spectacular Zentrum named for Paul Klee—the whimsical painter who hopscotched across art—is a tour de force of vibrant creativity.
Undercover shopping: Bern's got it all—from couture fashion to artisan chocolatiers—and, thanks to those famous arcaded streets, you can even enjoy window-shopping in rainy weather.
The Zibelemärit: Think of an object—a train car, an alarm clock, a teddy bear—and you will likely see it rendered in onion at November's city-wide celebration of the vegetable.
Those sunbathing Swiss: Warm summer days lure swimmers to the Marzili's sweeping lawns and swift, icy stretch of river below the Federal Parliament Building.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Switzerland Experience IExplore
- Switzerland by Train IExplore
- Switzerland by Train — $9,755 IExplore