Nightlife & the Arts in Bern
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Twice a year, Bern Tourismus publishes and widely disseminates Bern Guide, a free, pocket-size, bilingual (German/English), and comprehensive guide to what's on in the city (exhibits, nightlife, festivals, shopping, excursions, and useful telephone numbers). The Web site www.bern.com fills in any remaining gaps.
The Bernese like to party, and nightlife options accordingly run the gamut from plush velvet seating and Belle Epoque refinement to jazz lounges, casual sidewalk bars, and plugged-in clubs where DJs spin the latest. Bärenplatz and Kornhausplatz bubble over with revelers on summer evenings; many restaurants transition into bars as the night wears on.
Bern's three-pronged arts scene covers opera and symphonic classics, seasonal festivals, and cubbyhole theaters buried underground.
Browse Bern Nightlife
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe