Eastern Switzerland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
A bibliophile's paradise: Pretend you live in the Rococo richness of the library at the Abbey of St. Gallen, with all the time in the world to read its 100,000 priceless books.
The cows finally come home: Take part in an Appenzell Alpfahrt festival, when cows are herded up into the nearby mountain slopes (in spring) or back down (in fall).
Fast-forward to the 1400s: Open a new window in Schaffhausen—the "City of Oriel Windows"—then discover the medieval magic of the preserved old town of Stein-am-Rhein.
The Rhine maidens: See Europe's third-largest river in its adolescent phase as it snakes its way to Germany. Take a lunch-boat ride, cycle along the river's grassy banks, or visit storybook castles.
Lofty Liechtenstein: Make a pit stop in this tiny country for a day: there's lots of shopping, museums, and an office to get your passport stamped, all waiting within Vaduz's 4-block radius "downtown."
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Senator 3 Nts in May Fr $161+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $112+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 4-Star Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Fr $252+/Nt — $252 Save with Expedia, $104/night less
- Book in Z?rich: Save at the Central Plaza in May Fr $301+/Nt — $301 Expedia
- Book in Z?rich: Save at the Dolder Waldhaus in May Fr $310+/Nt — $310 Save with Expedia, $77/night less