When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
The four seasons are clearly defined here: nicely balanced periods of sun and rain bring springtime blossoms and flowers with a vengeance, thanks to the many orchards and fields; summer temperatures zoom upward to between 70 and 90 degrees, depending on whether it's a dry or wet one (although in recent years dry summers seem to prevail); the abundance of deciduous trees in this region means splashes of color in a crisp-aired, windy fall; and winter dumps lots of snow and brings temperatures hovering around -5 Celsius (23 °F) in town, down to -25 (-13 °F) on some mountaintops.
Summers in eastern Switzerland provide the best weather and activities but also the greatest traffic, both on roads and in towns; spring and fall are good alternatives.
Although most places in this region are not too terribly crowded even in summer, Stein-am-Rhein is an exception. It receives enough coach tours to virtually paralyze the village with pedestrians during high season; if you go, arrive earlier in the day or go on a weekday when crowds are a bit thinner.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Bar Seehof in May: Weekend Sale! Save 30%! Save with Expedia, $88/night less
- Z?rich Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at X-Tra Fr $172+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: Altstadt Fr $289+/Nt — $289 Expedia
- Book in Z?rich: Save at the Central Plaza in May Fr $301+/Nt — $301 Expedia
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $112+/Nt — $112 Travelocity